<

Monday, September 19, 2005

Bang A Gong, Get It On



This post's basically a 'clip show' of what I consider to be favorite posts on AutoBlog.

Yes, you may very well consider this to be a case of significant man-whoring. And much like my peer across the student union from myself, who's currently cheating on his girlfriend with an attractive co-ed, I am doing this to benefit myself.

However, unlike his situation, there's no real immediate danger of being physically mutilated and killed by a jealous girlfriend. Should all go well, an iPod Nano will arrive at my door in a few weeks.

However, there are some interesting posts mentioned, and some unique insight tagged onto it. So, until I finish research on the UMTA's Advanced Design Bus program, enjoy this little diddy.



  1. Lotus To Open More Dealerships in U.S.



    In my mind, this move on Lotus' part is a good one. It's amazing to see how the dealer network shrunk, even before the death of the Esprit. I think the network in Michigan went from two outlets to one, and to be completely frank, AutoEurope is a pricky bunch, at best.

    I'm sure they'd be friendly if I had $60,000 in my pocket, ready to spend, but I don't, and they're not.

    I pray that Lotus's future retailers take a cue from my local McIntosh audio dealer, who let me fiddle in a room with a 12 foot stack of McIntosh componentry - valued at over $100,000 - despite me then being in my sophomore year of high school...


  2. Chrysler 300C Touring with 3.0L V6 CRD



    It's not that I've never seen these in person.

    Far from it - and to prove as such, a personal shot of one of many 300 Tourings at the Chrysler Tech Center follows below.

    However, I'm always happy to hear when other people agree with my logic - as in "why the hell isn't this sold here in the USA?" Get rid of that stodgy Pacifica, and give me a Chrysler cargo hauler with a Hemi. An SRT 6.1 variant would be even better.

    I do find it funny to read of those who've seen them, and only belived them to be custom jobs on the aftermarket. You never know when you run into prototypes, people!

  3. Reader Spy Shots: Dodge Nitro



    Which leads me to this entry. As one who often encounters DaimlerChrysler prototypes, and used to post them on CarSpyShots.net (here's a hint for you all: LXLover may be someone you know..), I can relate to the thrill of chasing after an unknown mule.

    However, it gets crazy when the test drivers get right-pedal-happy when behind the wheel. Even without photographers chasing after it, test drivers tend to drive very agressively. Having once been near-sidewiped by a disguised Bentley Continental GT two years back on I-75 and Baldwin Rd, I know this to be true.

    Although I sure as hell couldn't have street raced that car - as the photographer here was able to do...

  4. Spy Shots: Ford Shelby Cobra GT500



    I'll admit it: I'm a Mustang fan. Despite having an affinity for GM Truck history, and volunteering at a Chrysler museum, I still love that thoroughbred from the Blue Oval. I guess growing up with a '65 GT convertible has that sort of dramatic impact upon a young psyche.

    However, while I do enjoy the new generation of Mustang, I'm enthralled with the new GT500. I passed one on a car carrier on its way to Ford's Romeo Proving Grounds, and nearly beat the crap out of myself for not having a camera on me.

    It was rectified the next week when a mule was parked at work. And after standing inches for the car, staring at it intently, for what could have been hours, the Ford engineer obliged and gave me a quick spin.

    Which, for the sake of both his and my job position, I'm not ranting about here. Nor are there photos of the ride. So Autoblog's pictorial is the next best thing.

  5. Hilton Hotels partners with McLaren Mercedes



    Stuart Waterman has been the most unsung hero of the Autoblog writing staff, with informative, concise, and heavens to betsy, grammatically-sensible prose.

    And while you may call that line out for sheer man-whoring, you must at least give Stuart credit where it's due. A piece regarding F1 and the Hilton hotels chain, and not a single mention of a joke regarding "scoring with a Hilton".


  6. 2005 Woodward Dream Cruise - Cool Cars



    People often asked me what my feelings were regarding my grandmother's second marriage, that occured on August 20th, 2005.

    I didn't have any opinions on the marriage itself - but I was pissed that it occured on the same day as the Woodward Dream Cruise, and almost 2 hours away from anywhere on Woodward Avenue.

    Regardless, John Neff's writing and photography let me sense what I missed - to both my delight, and, thanks to some extraordinary vehicles present, my chagrin.

    But hey - he grouped an Avanti II, Lotus Elise, Dodge A100, and a Citroen 2CV6 under the "Cool Cars" category. I just have to give a hat tip to that.

  7. Man runs internet campaign raising funds to buy himself a Ferrari



    Well, never mind. My fears of being a cop-out to win an iPod are insignificant when it comes to this bloke.

    It's one thing to work for a contest. But to simply harp on the web-browsing public - and to find people who'll actually throw a quid his way - astounds me.

    Where are these people? And how do I get them in my site traffic demographics?

  8. Dave Hill - no Blue Devil Corvette on the way



    This has been an almost an inside joke running at GM. The 'Blue Devil' Corvette supposedly spotted testing at the Nurburgring was simply a somewhat-modified Z06.

    "Somewhat-modified" meaning it wore a split-grille, which emitted a whistling sound when cruising at high speeds. The car was powered by a stock LS7.

    The gentleman who drove me in a GM-owned Z06 mentioned he didn't know the current status, but he remembered hearing that a Blue Devil suffered along the lines of an engine fire at Milford.

    What he did confirm was that GM spent nearly $5,000 in fuel at the Nurburgring only for the Z06. And that the car is truly, to steal from Car and Driver, a Corvette from hell. I've never experienced a car that can break the tires in a 3-4 shift before.

  9. Upclose and personal with the Bugatti Veyron: Exclusive Spy Shots



    I will admit that I'm smitten with the new Veyron.

    But despite the car's prowess, power, and capabilities, that's not what I'm amazed at.

    Having been responsible for installing and ripping out National Instruments dataloggers in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I really must say that I'm impressed with the array of equipment installed in the Veyron - particuarly while leaving most of the luxurious interior intact.

    Bravo, Bugatti! Err...Bravo, Volkswagen!

  10. 2005 Chrysler Crossfire: In the Autoblog Garage Day 1



    Don't think that because I want a Nano gifted to me, that I'll simply kiss derriere in an effort to please. The folks at Autoblog are, for what I can tell, competent professionals who can handle constructive criticism. The contest reads for my personal 10 favorite entries, and, while not on a positive note as the other articles were, this one still ranks up there.

    I know the world of blogging is often times hectic and confusing. But there's still reasonable room to correct rhetorical errors before going to press. And, thanks to the advent of the digital age, one is able to simply edit HTML code to remove errors that somehow made it through.

    With that being said, I really must ask myself how these phrases pass into publication:



    • Well, this is not your ordinary Crossfire. No, it is not the extreme SRT6, those are a touch on the expensive side. This is the base Crossfire.


    Uh...if a base level Crossfire's not an 'ordinary' Crossfire, what is?

    • Outside of the headroom, the interior is comfortable enough for long distances. My head would occasionally touch the roof, but I have yet to have a problem with it.


    If your head's touching the roof, then there's a problem. The problem being there's not enough headroom.

    • I plan on going over each of the car’s various traits over the course of the week.

    Sorry if I missed something, but isn't that last line a standard procedure when reviewing a car?

    The link's there so that you can see that because I removed these lines out of context, they suddenly became weaker than they originally were. This sadly tends to be the case on the majority of "In the Autoblog Garage" pieces, especially.

    In the future, avoid the first-person references as much as possible, and get rid of those redunancies - and you'll truly be top-notch.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment